(Also known as E-Counselling, Internet Counselling, Online Therapy, E-Therapy, Internet Therapy, Online Psychology, E-Psychology, Internet Psychology, Cybertherapy, Virtual Psychology, Chat Therapy, Cyberpsychology.)
Some of the reasons why people prefer Online Counselling via Live Chat, Video Chat or Email.
Face to face counselling is always preferred and advisable, but if you are in unable to because of reasons such as travelling, you can benefit from on line counselling as below:
• The privacy and anonymity of Online Counselling are appealing. Some people are embarrassed to visit a therapist for a face to face appointment.
• It is cost effective and normally cheaper than the cost of face to face counselling or therapy.
• You can receive and continue therapy while travelling or when you live in an area where it is difficult to find a qualified psychologist or counsellor.
• Online counselling may sometimes provides faster results than face to face therapy. You may find that you can be more open when chatting or writing an email to your online psychologist.
• Some people may prefer a health professional not known to them. Online therapy affords you the opportunity to communicate with a professional about your problem in total privacy.
• Some individuals are uncomfortable around people. Online therapy provides a safe and familiar environment to open up with a caring psychologist on the other end of the line.
• It is convenient and time efficient. You can sit in the privacy of your own home or office and chat or write an email at your own time, giving you opportunity to think clearly and calmly what you want to say.