EQ (Emotional Intelligence): Increase Business Profitability Through Employees' Work Performance!

EQ (Emotional Intelligence): Increase Business Profitability Through Employees' Work Performance! from Centralhub Connections

By: Centralhub Connections  04/06/2009
Keywords: Events, Seminars

2-Day Training Workshop

by CENTRALHUB CONNECTIONS

13 & 14 July 2009

Holiday Inn Park View, Singapore

“15% of the reason you get a job, keep a job and move ahead is determined by your technical skills and knowledge...regardless of the profession. The other 85% has to do with your people skills and people knowledge.” - Dr Daniel Goleman, author of the bestselling books about Emotional Intelligence.

Having a high IQ alone may not necessarily equate a high rate of success. Other “intelligent” factors such as self-awareness, impulse control, persistence, self-motivation, being able to build and sustain inspiring work environments as well as engage others through empathy and positive relationships are qualities which set apart leaders who excel.

Centralhub Connections presents a 2-day workshop designed to create awareness of the significance of Emotional Intelligence at the workplace. The participants will be equipped with skills and tools to develop the EQ competencies and learn how these can make a difference to individuals, team performances and job satisfaction!

Keywords: Events, Seminars